Monday, July 21, 2008

Get it Fresh!


I have always loved going to the Farmer's Market. There is something about it that brings back so many memories. When I was little my grandmother would take me there in the summer. We would get purple hull peas and shell them for days. Then she would blanche them and put them up in the freezer. My grandmother knew so much about cooking good country vegetables and I will never forget her sending supper home when we would go there after being at her house. She made the most wonderful chicken and dumplings. I am still searching for her recipe.

Dad has enjoyed going to the Farmer's Market for years too. He would take me when I was visiting in Montgomery and load me up with veggies to take back to Birmingham. We would have a great time walking around and picking out the best, least expensive produce from local vendors.

In Birmingham, I loved going to Pepper Place downtown. On Saturdays they had farmers selling produce, as well as a variety of crafters, a band, and baked goods from the culinary school. A couple of Saturdays ago, I found myself bored and really missing Birmingham. I wanted to get some fresh veggies and Dad said I should go find a market. So, I ventured downtown and found it. It was a lot smaller than the market in Birmingham and less than half the size of the one in Montgomery but I was able to find some good deals. I got some wonderful blueberries, plums, and figs. I also got new potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, zucchini, and tomatoes. It was fun and the best part was I only spent $20! You definitely cant do that at the grocery store lately.

I'm almost out of everything I bought. I made some wonderful potato soup with the new potatoes last night. I am hoping that I can make it down there this weekend to get a few more things that I'm needing. The great thing about the Farmer's Market is you are not only supporting local farmers but you are also getting some great fresh food. I noticed that a lot of the produce was organic too. There is nothing like it. Fresh fruit is the best in the summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the FARMERS MARKET too! Their tomatoes and peaches are the best!
I would love to have a cup of that potato soup right now! I bet it was delicious.
I'm so proud of you cooking so much.

Laura Mielke said...

jessica i discovered the farmer's market for this first time this summer! Of course like you I grew up going with my mom though... you really nailed it when you talked about shellin, blanchin, and puttin up peas... my mom and I did that a month ago... TOO FUNNY. glad I found your blog. check mine out. this is laura goldman mielke by the way