Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Waiting Room

The other day I was sitting in a waiting room at the doctor's office anxiously anticipating my name to be called. I just wanted to hurry back, see the doctor over my annoying skin issue and head on my way. As I sat down, I looked around and realized I was surrounded by people with cancer and other terminal/long-term illnesses. I listened to two of the patients talk about their health problems. One lady told a gentleman next to her that though she was only in her 50s she had endured 18 surgeries due to her illnesses. She sat with hands and feet crippled from arthiritis and you could hear the hopelessness in her voice. The gentleman, probably in his 70s, said the dr had put a stint in his heart and he said "This guy [doctor] says I have the diabetes but I have a piece of cake every night. I have out lived by family and if I die from eating cake, I'm ok with that." At the time, I thought that was a funny and cheerful way to look at the situation. However, since then my mind has gone to this man several times. I can't help but think he has the right idea!! If you are going to live life, live it! What good is sitting in fear and grief over the life that you could have had? Life is for the living. I have thought alot about this...Do I really live my life? I'm 27...I am blessed far more that I could dream...Do I live or do I wait for life to happen to me? I'm afraid to say that the latter is probably the case most of the time. We all have things and situations in life that are hard. Things that make you feel that life is just something that you have to survive. As so many that we know and love go through hardships, we should find the "cake" in life and eat it up! :)

No comments: