Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Almond Joy or Just Nuts??


Recently I was looking for a healthy snack to have at work for those times in the mid morning or afternoon when I get hungry. Well, I decided to get some almonds to snack on. I got roasted but unsalted and vowed to just have a "hand full" occasionally. Even though I have read so much about how nuts are good for you, almonds in particular, I still have such a hard time with it. I realize they are low in saturated fat and have protective nutrients, such as calcium and magnesium for strong bones and vitamin E and phytochemicals to protect against cardiovascular disease and cancer. There is research that supports that idea that almonds help to lower the chance of heart attack and cholesterol BUT I can't help but think about the 170 calories and 15 grams of fat. No matter how many times I hear that it is the "good fat" I find it hard to believe that any fat is good. I think that it has been ingrained in us that any fat or calories are the enemy. I know as far back as I can remember I have known that weight was just a numbers game. You have to burn more than you take in, therefore, it is really hard for me not to feel like I'm indulging. I will say, since I have stepped out on this big limb and tried this for a snack, almonds are filling. I guess the key is moderation...hmm...and the hard part begins!

No comments: