Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Callie's 4th Birthday!


Yesterday was my sweet cocker spaniel, Callie's 4th Birthday. Four years ago yesterday, after going through the "adoption" process, I learned that I was approved to adopt Callie from the Cocker Spaniel Rescue of Georgia. When I heard the news, I called my mom to see if she would ride to Atlanta with me to pick up Callie. As always, Mom jumped in the car and drove to Birmingham right then. I went to the pet store to stock up on dog food, bowls, treats and a pink stuffed sheep. We headed to Atlanta and met Callie's foster parents in the parking lot of Zaxby's. They opened the back of their car and out walked this sweet little cocker spaniel. She was so shy at first but in no time was giving me kisses. We loaded her into the car and headed back to Alabama.

That is where my life with Callie began. She began life an abused dog, starved for love and affection. Now, there are times when she wishes her mom wouldn't hug and kiss her quite so much. Callie has been the sweetest companion I could have ever wished for. My life has been full with her.

It amazes me how much pets change our lives. They are little children with fur coats. They depend on us for everything and even when we mess up, they come to us with a wag of the tail and happiness like we hung the moon. They are teachers whose lessons are in patience, consistency, and the importance of a Spot Bot! They are the things that shape our lives.

Many debate if we will see our pets again in heaven. For me, they are examples of God's love, themselves. How often do we mess up only to be greeted with God's unconditional love and forgiveness? How often do we face trials and obstacles to learn that it was not the outcome but the lessons in the journey that we were meant to discover in the first place? I can't help but think these little creatures were put here as just another means of making God's love tangible to us.

So, with their companionship and need for our love, we will continue to love our pets like children...and let's face it...they are just so adorable!

Happy Birthday Callie!

1 comment:

Kelleybrooke said...

Happy Birthday Callie! I cant belive you werent already a blogger! I miss you!! Love KB